Emerson Street’s two historic squares – Clive Square and Memorial Square – are kicking summer off to a bright start with picnics, music and art.
Squares in the City is a mini festival in the heart of Napier running from 1-8 December, with a different event – and a different summery vibe – on offer every day.
Councillor Sally Crown, is the Squares in the City Ambassador and Chair of Napier City Council’s Prosperous Napier Committee. She explains the reason behind the activation is to celebrate summer and bring people to a part of the city that is currently under used but full of potential.
“The Squares are really special, iconic to Napier and have a cool blend of history and vibrancy,” explains Councillor Crown. “We want to create relaxed, interesting reasons for people to rediscover the Squares and fall in love with them. They are a space that’s open to everyone and inviting for all. Whether you’re a local or a visitor they have a distinctive character that’s 100% Napier.”
“We are bringing together local talent – artists, musicians, performers – as well as everyone’s favourite food trucks to create a week of entertainment and connection in the middle of the city. It’s going to be bright, quirky, a little bit loud and a lot of fun for everyone,” says Councillor Sally Crown. “We have a vision of helping create places and spaces where everyone wants to be and this is a great example of making that happen.”
Things to look out for during Squares in the City include: instant poems on a vintage typewriter, Rock Quest winners, French toast, guitar heroes and urban sketchers.
• Friday 1 December – Picnic in the Squares with food trucks, music, face painting and more
• Saturday 2 December – Art in the Squares alongside the Farmers Market, help build mini-floats for the Christmas Parade
• Sunday 3 December – Christmas Parade and Parade Fiesta
• Monday 4 December – Breakfast in the Squares
• Tuesday 5 and Thursday 7 December – Lunchtime concerts
• Wednesday 6 December – Art Deco Afternoon
• Friday 8 December – Napier Night Fiesta is back for another awesome season.
For more information visit Squares in the City event page.
Media Release – Napier City Council